Monday, July 7, 2008

Gas price variations

If you're interested in saving a few bucks on gasoline (I know I am, but you may be far too rich to care), don't bother pumping anything south of I-40. It's remarkable (hence my remarking on it) how much difference there is in gas prices in one small town!

Yesterday (7/6) I went hunting best gas prices in VB. Nearly everyone on Broadway was mirroring Fort Smith's price hike to $3.99 per gallon (regular unleaded). But as soon as I crossed under I-40 on Log Town Hill, the sun mercifully went behind a cheerful cloud, birds began singing louder, fellow motorists began smiling and waving ... all because, in one block, gas prices dropped 13 cents! Gas at both stations north of the interstate was $3.86 per gallon.

(NOTE: I don't count Walmart's discount - their gas is so dirty the clogging far outweighs any benefit of price - avoid them at all cost!)

Which begs the question - why aren't "south Vanburenite" gas stations in line with consumers' needs for better gas prices? Is it honestly just greed? I don't think they are being charged 13 cents more per gallon by their suppliers than their counterparts in the same state/county/town/area code/zip code! Must be price gouging!

Be warned - drive up Log Town Hill a little way and save nearly five percent per gallon - that's $3.00 on 20 gallons of gas! That's enough for a coffee!

No comments: